Hidden Rose Apple Galette
Vegan Pie Crust
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp fine salt
8 tbsp (½ cup) vegan butter substitute or shortening
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
8 Hidden Rose apples or a mix of apples
Juice of 1 lemon
¾ cup organic sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp bourbon/whisky/rum (optional)
Milk-Wash for Dough
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp organic sugar
• Preheat oven to 400˚F. Cut parchment paper to fit a quarter baking sheet.
• Stir flour and salt together with a fork in a mixing bowl. Cut vegan butter into small pieces. Cut vegan butter and olive oil into the flour/ salt mixture using a pastry cutter or fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs with some pea-sized pieces.
• Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and stir with a fork after each addition until dough holds together in your hand. The amount of water will vary each time due to weather and humidity conditions. Form dough into a rough, thick rectangle.
• Lay parchment paper onto surface and dust with flour. Roll out dough into a rectangle shape to fit into the sheet pan, dusting with flour as you go if dough is sticky. Trim edges or keep them intact for a rustic look. Rework and roll out dough trimmings and cut out decorative shapes if you want to be fancy.
• Transfer dough still on parchment paper to the sheet pan.
• Peel apples and cut large pieces off of core. Slice apple pieces into ¹⁄8" thick slices and keep slices together for each large piece.
• Squeeze lemon juice over the apple slices.
Stir sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together and spread into 1 layer on the dough.
• Arrange apple slices on top of sugar layer in alternating directions to make a basket weave pattern.
• Stir together maple syrup, vanilla and liquor, if using it, and drizzle the mixture evenly over the top of apples.
• Fold dough edges over the apples.
• Mix milk and oil together in a small dish and brush over the top of dough. Place decorative cutouts on dough and then brush the tops of the cutouts. Sprinkle sugar over the dough.
• Bake at 400˚F for 45 minutes until center is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
• Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temp. Leftovers will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.