Homemade Vegan & Soy-Free Lasagna
Veggie Bolognese Sauce
¾ cup almonds
3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 head cauliflower
3 garlic cloves
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 cup tomato puree
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
¾ cup cashews
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2-3 tsp lemon juice
½ cup water
Salt and pepper, to taste
9 (whole grain) lasagna sheets
• Soak the cashews in hot water and set aside.
• Process the almonds and the sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor until coarse meal forms. Repeat with the cauliflower, but avoid over-processing to keep the texture a little chunky. Then mix everything together.
• Mince the garlic and onion and chop the carrot into small chunks. Heat a bit of oil or water in a large pan and sauté the garlic, onion and carrots for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
• Add the almond-cauliflower mixture, stir and cook for 4-5 min.
• Now add herbs and spices, as well as the tomatoes and tomato puree. Mix well and cook covered for 10 min at low to medium heat. Stir in between and add more spices to taste.
• In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350°F.
• For the cashew cream, drain the soaked cashews and blend together with the remaining ingredients until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a large casserole dish, add a bit of the veggie bolognese to cover the bottom. Top with a layer of lasagna noodle sheets. Add a layer of bolognese and a bit of the cashew cream and repeat until everything is used up.
• Bake the lasagna for about 30 min in the preheated oven.
• Let the lasagna cool for 5-10 min before serving.