Venezuelan Patacones with Coleslaw
Based in Amsterdam, Netherlands
2 green plantains, peeled
½ cup oil to fry
250 g coleslaw mix with white cabbage and carrots
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lemon, juiced
3 tbsp Vegenaise
Chive for garnishing
• Cut the plantains crosswise in slices around 2 cm thick.
• In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the slices of plantain and fry them on both sides until golden brown, about 2 min for each side.
• Take them out of the pan and place them on a surface lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Let them rest for 2 min.
• Place the fried plantain on a cutting board and squish them under a wooden spoon (around 5 cm thick).
• Return the flattened plantain slices into the pan and fry them for a second time for 1-2 min.
• Place the fried plantains on your plate and sprinkle with salt.
• For the coleslaw: Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Add a teaspoon of the mixture on top of each slice.
• Garnish with chives.